Jump to contentJump to search

Funding possibilities for your stay abroad

The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) awards one-year and short-term scholarships to doctoral students at German universities. The scholarships are intended for study and research stays abroad for further qualification. They are open to applicants from all disciplines and are aimed at doctoral students at both universities and non-university research institutions. More information is available on the websites of the DAAD.


International Research Training Groups provide opportunities for joint doctoral training programmes between German universities and universities abroad. The research and study programmes are jointly developed and supervised. Doctoral students in the programme complete a six-month research stay at the respective partner institution. Currently there are two International Research Training Groups at HHU.


The Fulbright commission supports reserach stays in the U.S. that are directly related to one's PhD project. Funding is available for PhD students of all fields. Scholars are expected to return to Germany to finish their PhD project at the home institution. More information is available on the websites of Fulbright.


Internships for European graduates can be completed at a host institution in another European country. Graduates can gain work experience in an international environment and learn about the requirements of an EU-wide job market. Erasmus+ funding is available throughout the entire academic career up to and including the doctorate. Funding is available for stays in all EU member states as well as Iceland, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey. The participation of Switzerland as programme country is suspended in Erasmus+ from the academic year 2014/2015 until further notice. Graduate students can be funded for a stay of between three and twelve months at a foreign host university during the course of their doctorate. The minimum duration of an internship is two months (maximum twelve months) in a foreign company or organisation. Erasmus+ scholarships are awarded directly by the universities, which is also where the application is made. Information is provided by the respective International Offices of the participating universities.  Applications must be submitted via the International Office of the HHU. These are the Erasmus Partner Institutes of HHU. Further information can be found on the websites of the Erasmus+ Programme.




Junior Scientist and International Researcher Center

Building: 16.11
Floor/Room: 42-48
+49 211 81-13564;13405

Information event:

HHU Scholarships for language courses abroad

Responsible for the content: