Jump to contentJump to search

Register residence

In Germany there is a registration obligation for all persons. Therefore, you must register with your residential address in Germany within one week of entering the country. This also applies to students from abroad who only want to study at HHU for one semester.

A change of residence, even within Düsseldorf, must be registered no later than one week after moving. You can register and re-register at the Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) of the City of Düsseldorf or at the Citizens' Registration Office (Bürgerbüro) of your district. If you live outside Düsseldorf, please go to the Einwohnermeldeamt (residents' registration office) of the relevant municipality.

Normally, registration at the Einwohnermeldeamt is free of charge.

Documents for the registration office

For registration you need:

  • a passport (possibly with visa) or identity card
  • a completed and signed landlord's confirmation from your landlord/landlady.

It is best to inquire at your Residents' Registration Office about the required documents.

At the registration office you will receive a registration confirmation. This is an important document! You will need it to apply for your residence permit, to open your bank account and to conclude contracts in Germany in general.

Responsible for the content: