Jump to contentJump to search

Residence permit

After you have registered your place of residence, you must apply for the residence permit.

Do you come from the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland? Then you do not need a residence permit. However, you will often have to prove that you have health insurance and provide proof of financing when you register at the Residents' Registration Office. You will then also receive a certificate of your residence status at the Residents' Registration Office when you register your residence.

Do you come from another country? Then you must apply for a residence permit at the Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Düsseldorf.  If your place of residence is not in Düsseldorf, you must contact the Aliens' Registration Office in your place of residence.

You must apply for the residence permit at the Immigration Office of your place of residence within the first three months.

Documents for the residence permit

For the residence permit, you must go to the Immigration Office in person. It is best to ask the Immigration Office what documents you need to apply for the residence permit. Normally you need:

  • a valid passport, possibly with a visa
  • the registration confirmation of the Residents' Registration Office
  • proof of health insurance
  • the matriculation certificate of your German university
  • money for the fee, possibly proof of financing
  • possibly a rental contract
  • possibly (biometric) passport photos

Residence legal fees

When applying for a residence permit for the first time at the Immigration Office in Düsseldorf, a fee of 100€ must be paid. A later extension up to three months costs 97€, over three months 93€.

For more information, please visit the website of the Immigration Office Düsseldorf.

Responsible for the content: