Biology - One year (MBIO1)
Master of Science
The Master Programme in Biology at Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf builds upon a four-year bachelor's degree and is aimed at students interested in science. Why consider a master´s degree in biology at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf?
For entry into the degree programme, applicants should have completed a four years bachelor's degree in biology or a related subject (biochemistry, natural sciences) and have a good command of the English language. Applications may be submitted via an online application portal. Applicants will be judged based upon their qualification and aptitude. Both summer and winter enrollment is possible.
The prerequisite for admission is the completion of a relevant course of study which has been successfully completed with a Bachelor of Science degree or a comparable professional qualification.
Relevant to the subject is a course of study which fulfils the following criteria
- at least 80 credit points in basic biological modules in the fields of expertise: organismic biology, cell biology, microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, physiology
- at least 30 credit points in basic natural science, whereby the following compartments must be covered: chemistry, physics and mathematics
- at least one third of the studies should be completed in the form of laboratory practicals
- Bachelor thesis with a scope of at least 10 credit points
Applicants must certificate their language skills by an individual language proficiency certificate.
Required documents for application
- Degree certificate with Transcript of Records
- if not available, a provisional certificate or a current transcript of records with at least 210 CP is sufficient.
- This document should show how many laboratory practicals you have done, how many hours or credits individual modules comprise and whether you have done a bachelor thesis.
- If this is not evident from your documents, please attach other relevant documents to your application. Otherwise, an evaluation of your professional suitability is not possible.
- Individual proof of English language skills
- German Abitur/university entrance qualification
- Degree from a full-time English-speaking university in the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand
- TOEFL (90 iBT)
- IELTS (6.5 or better)
Special feature on the language of instruction:
The degree programme can be studied completely in German or English. The language in which the modules are taught is specified in the module guide. If you speak German and English, you can choose all modules. If you speak only one of the two languages, you have a more limited choice. The majority of modules are currently offered in English. However, it is possible to study the programme entirely in German.
More information about the requirements here
This alternative master's programme can be completed in two semesters. It has a strong research focus and is structured nearly exclusively for independent scientific research.
The first semester includes an independent research project and culminates in a written research plan, which serves as the foundation for the master's thesis. The second semester is dedicated to the completion of the master thesis. Students are recommended to select a research topic before starting the programme and to contact suitable supervisors in advance. Further information about the degree program
Programme objectives/Career prospects
Graduates of the master's program in Biology will received Master of Science (MSc) degree. This degree prepares its graduates for doctoral studies or, alternatively, for a career path in research or life sciences.
Admission-free with aptitude assessment in the application portal
SoSe: 01.11.-15.01. / WiSe: 01.05.-15.07.
16/07/2023 - 06/10/2023
01/07/2023 - 15/08/2023
Dr. Kirsten Fittinghoff
Phone: +49 211 81-15356
Phone consultation hours
10:00 - 12:00 am
15:00 - 17:00 pm
Consultation hours on site/via webex due to corona
only by prior appointment.