Romance Studies: Cultural Contacts and Communication
Master of Arts
This Master's degree programme is designed to further develop previous knowledge in Romance linguistics and literary studies, adding a focus on cultural, media- and discourse related issues. Languages of instruction: German, French, Italian, Spanish.
Important! Please be aware that all our study programmes require good previous language skills in one Romance language (level B1 for the Bachelor degree's programme, Level C1 for the Master's degree programmes). In addition, we strongly recommend a near native speaker proficiency of German.
The Master’s degree program Romance Studies: Cultural Contacts and Communication is designed to provide profound knowledge of media- and culture theory and to offer opportunities to develop practical skills in digital media. Part of the program consists of expanding proficiency in two foreign romance languages to level C2. The analysis of transcultural processes (e.g. in films) as well as highly topical discourse practices in (digital) media (which are continuously evolving, e.g. in the field of online communication) constitute the core aspects of the program. Within these focal subjects, the students identify and work on their own research topics, chosing a perspective from culture studies, literary studies or linguistics. Students are encouraged to find their own solutions and to develop a critical, courageous and creative use of theoretical models and methods.
Programme objectives/Career prospects
The degree programmes in Romance studies prepare for careers in the following areas:
- Multilingual information-, knowledge- and cultural management
- New Media (digital media technology, communication technology)
- Journalism and publishing
- European and international organizations, enterprises and educational institutions
- Composing texts in foreign languages, international public relations agencies
- Culturally specific education and training for enterprises, the „new language industries“ (e.g. web portals, development of digitial dictionaries and encyclopaedias, creation of educational software)
- Foreign language teaching at schools or in adult education
- Adademic research and teaching
German (partially: French or Italian or Spanish)
Admission-free with aptitude assessment in the application portal
Summer: 02.11.-01.06. / Winter: 02.05.-15.12.
16/07/2023 - 06/10/2023
01/07/2023 - 15/08/2023
Dr. Sieglinde Borvitz
PD Dr. Martina NicklausStudy programme/Department