Italian and German: Language, Media, Translation
Master of Arts
This Master's degree programme is designed to further develop previous knowledge in Italian language and linguistics, adding a focus on applied, language teaching and cross-linguistic studies. The programme includes one semester abroad, at the University of Turin. Languages of instruction: German, Italian.
Important! Please be aware that all our study programmes require good previous language skills in one Romance language (level B1 for the Bachelor degree's programme, Level C1 for the Master's degree programmes). In addition, we strongly recommend a near native speaker proficiency of German.
The Master's degree programme Italienisch und Deutsch: Sprache, Medien, Translation/Italian and German: Language, Media, Translation conveys in-depth competences in central areas of Italian Applied Linguistics and includes one semester abroad at the University of Turin to consolidate the crosslinguistic perspective. Students also benefit from a strong practical component.
The three academic focus areas of our programme correspond to the targeted occupational fields: Language Teaching and Learning (Module: "Sprache vermitteln"/"Language teaching"), Media Linguistics (Module: "Sprache und Medien"/"Language and Media"). The language module "Lingua - Testi - Contesti"/"Language - Texts - Contexts" and and a professional component, an eight-week internship ("Berufsfeldpraktikum") are designed to train the students' practical skills.
Students are encouraged to shape their individual profile by exploring new avenues ") in different scientific areas within a wide range of elective courses ("Fachübergreifender Wahlpflichtbereich"/"Interdisciplinary electives
Programme objectives/Career prospects
The degree programmes in Romance studies prepare for careers in the following areas:
- Multilingual information-, knowledge- and cultural management
- New Media (digital media technology, communication technology)
- Journalism and publishing
- European and international organizations, enterprises and educational institutions
- Composing texts in foreign languages, international public relations agencies
- Culturally specific education and training for enterprises, the „new language industries“ (e.g. web portals, development of digitial dictionaries and encyclopaedias, creation of educational software)
- Foreign language teaching at schools or in adult education
- Adademic research and teaching
German (partially: Italian)
Admission-free with aptitude assessment in the application portal
Summer: 02.11.-01.06. / Winter: 02.05.-15.12.
16/07/2023 - 06/10/2023
01/07/2023 - 15/08/2023
PD. Dr. Martina Nicklaus
Prof. Dr. Elmar SchafrothStudy programme/Department