Master of Arts
The one-year Master programme European Studies is a new and innovative study programme offered by the Institute of Social Sciences at Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf. The MA programme of European Studies enables students to deal with the complex process of European integration and the relevance of its policy of peace on a scientific level.
In principle, this programme is open to all students meeting the preconditions for admission, but it has been especially designed for students from the Middle East. Therefore, we expect most students to come from this region.
- The Master´s programme in European Studies is offered to students with a Bachelor´s degree (above average or "with distinction") in social sciences, law, economics, history or cultural studies.
- Before starting the one-year MA programme in European Studies students must have completed four years of university studies since German MA degrees require a minimum of five years of study.
- Students must have successfully completed courses in European Studies (above average or "with distinction") equivalent to a one-year study programme (60 CP ECTS).
- Good knowledge of the English language is required (Level B2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Basic communication skills in German are not required but highly advisable.
Language certificate for English language (Level B2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages):
- IELTS (academic) minimum 6.0, including at least 6.0 in section “writing”
- TOEFL iBt with 75 points minimum
- We do not accept TOEIC.
The application process starts in summer. The deadline for submitting the application is 15 July.
The study programme corresponds to the Duesseldorf profile of a research oriented MA programme, it comprises
- a team research project: a team of three students will conduct a research project on their own for one semester
- a master forum: weekly meeting of all students of the MA programme to discuss team research projects or master thesis, to hold guest lectures, to coordinate and organise the study programme, to evaluate the study programme etc.
- a master thesis (to be written in four months)
The programme consists of eight master courses, covering political, social, economic, legal, historical and cultural aspects of the "Governance of the EU" and the "Integration of European societies".
Programme objectives/Career prospects
A central aim of the studies is the improvement of independent and analytical thinking as well as the promotion of self-reliance, openness to dialogue and team spirit by means of working on scientific questions. It prepares students for a professional occupation within the working areas of Politics, Policy Consulting, Administration, Media and Civil Society Organizations thus dealing with European actors, institutions and processes including occupational activities in the partner countries of the European Union within the scope of a lively Neighbourhood Policy.
01/08/2021 - 01/10/2021
01/07/2021 - 15/08/2021
Dr. Guido QuetschStudy programme/Department