Jump to contentJump to search

Studying at HHU

Impressions from refugee students

The study programme database quickly and clearly shows all study opportunities at Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf.

Important! There are no teaching degree programmes at HHU. The homepage hochschulkompass gives an overview over all study programmes in Germany.


You are welcome to come to the general consultation hours for refugees every Wednesday from 10:30 - 12:00 in the SSC.
You can also visit our Website Orientation and getting to know the university. Most offers are for pupils but they are open to refugees as well. For example:

  • „Schnuppern@uni“ a trail programme to get to know the university. There you will accompany a student for a day and gain practical insights into everyday university life
  •  „Wochen der Studienorientierung“ / Study Orientation Weeks: Every year in January you can visit lectures, the student advisory services and presentations
  •   Study and career choice workshops
  •  and many other offers for everybody interested in studying


What requirements do I have to meet  to study a degree programme?
To begin studying at Heinrich Heine University, you need:

1. a valid university entrance qualification (HZB). This means that your certificates from your home country are comparable with the German Abitur.
You can check your school certificates in the DAAD Database on admission requirements or with the anabin database

If you have questions regarding application for international students, please visit the following office hours of the Student and Examination Office for International Applicants: 

Tuesday         13:00 – 15:00 Uhr
Thursday      09:00 – 11:00 Uhr

Studierenden Service Center (Student Service Center)

Heinrich-Heine-Universität, Gebäude 21.02
Universitätsstr. 1
40225 Düsseldorf

A binding examination of the HZB only takes place in the case of an application at the HHU or within the framework of a preliminary examination documentation (VPD) for a fee of 75 EUR at uni-assist.  

2. language skills in German at level C1. The following language certificates and alternatives are accepted at the HHU.
We offer preparatory German courses for university studies. Further information here.



An explanation of the application procedure and the "Antrag auf Zulassung zum Studium für ausländische Studienbewerber", which must be enclosed with every application, can be found on the website of the Studierenden- und Prüfungsverwaltung für ausländische Studienbewerber.







A prerequisite for enrolment or changing to a Master's programme at the HHU (and all other universities) is a so called „Eignungsfeststellung“ or aptitude test.  This is an assessment of the relevant pre-qualification (usually a Bachelor's programme). You can apply for the aptitude assessment on the websites of the different master programmes.

All information on the application procedure for foreign applicants can be found on the above-mentioned page of the Studierenden- und Prüfungsverwaltung für ausländische Studienbewerber.


The HHU offers scholarships for refugees which are funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). There are study entry scholarships (1st semester), study scholarships (from 2nd semester) and degree scholarships (for the last two semesters).

In addition, there are a large number of other scholarships for a wide variety of target groups. You can find all the important information on the website of the Central University Funding Office.
BAföG  is a good way of financing your studies, because working as a student is time consuming and takes away energy from your studies. The staff of the Studentenwerk Düsseldorf will be happy to answer any questions you may have about financial support for your education.


The "study-in.de" website provides important information on studying and living in Germany. The information is adapted to the needs of refugee students and is available in German and English. FAQs also in Arabic, Urdu, Pashto and Dari.


Responsible for the content: