Jump to contentJump to search

Proof of German language proficiency: DSH certificate and the alternatives

Proof of German language proficiency: DSH certificate and the alternatives

If you are planning to apply to study at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf as a foreign student, you will need to submit a certificate showing you have passed one of the following German language exams together with your application:

  • the DSH-2 or DSH-3 (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang = German language university entrance exam for foreign students)
  • the Test DaF (= Test of German as a Foreign Language) with grade 5 or 4 in all individual parts – www. testdaf.de
  • the Kleines or Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (= basic or advanced language diploma) from a Goethe Institut
  • the Goethe Certificate C2
  • the Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (= central, upper school level language test) from a Goethe Institut
  • the Deutsches Sprachdiplom (= German language diploma), level 2 as defined by the Conference of German cultural ministers
  • the "Zertifikat telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule"
  • the "Österreichische Sprachdiplom C2 (ÖSD C2)"

Applicants from EU countries, who have been admitted to a numerus clausus study programme (with admission restrictions) by the Foundation for University Admission, must submit proof that they have successfully taken one of these language exams on enrolling.


Please note: It is not possible to apply for a university place or to enrol without having passed one of the above-listed exams.

More information can be found in the Rules for Proof of Language Proficiency for Admission to Studies at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.

Responsible for the content: