Subject to provision of appropriate proof, a leave of absence may be granted for compelling grounds. These include in particular:
- Completion of voluntary service (federal volunteer service/voluntary year in the environmental sector/voluntary social year) (confirmation of service)
- Ill health
- Completion of an internship which represents a key contribution to study programme success or serves a subsequent doctoral programme, for a maximum of two semesters (internship agreement and statement from the department)
- Childcare up to the end of the third year of the child’s life (copy of the child’s birth certificate and current proof of residence)
- Care and support for relatives
- Pregnancy (copy of your pregnancy record booklet) Maternity protection at university – information for students, German Maternity Protection Act (website in German)
- Studies abroad (certificate from the university abroad)
The leave of absence usually applies for the duration of one semester. A leave of absence is not permitted for the first subject-related semester with the exception of Master’s or doctoral study programmes.
In the case of studies abroad and ill health, the semester fee will be reduced to 240,39 euros for the winter semester 2023/24.