Professor Anja Steinbeck, born 1966, studied law at the universities of Mainz and Geneva (First State Examination in 1990, Second State Examination in 1993). It was at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) that she also earned her doctoral degree in 1992 and her post-doctoral degree (Habilitation) in 1999 under the supervision of Professor Walther Hadding. Her main research interests are business law, commercial and company law as well as competition law and intellectual property rights.
In 2001 she was called to the Chair for Civil Law, Commercial and Company Law and Industrial Property Rights at the University of Cologne. Since 2004 she has also headed its Institute of Industrial Property Rights and Copyright Law (IGRU). From 2011 to 2014 she was Vice-Rector for Planning, Finance and Gender Equality at the University of Cologne.
Parallel to her academic career, from October 2004 to October 2014 Professor Steinbeck worked part-time as a judge in the 6th Civil Senate (responsible for intellectual property issues) at Cologne Higher Regional Court. She is has been President of Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf since November 2014.
Professor Anja Steinbeck is married and has two children.
- Chairperson of the Supervisory Board of the German Diabetes Center Düsseldorf
- Chairperson of the Board of Trustees of Düsseldorf Business School
- Deputy Chairperson of the Supervisory Board of Düsseldorf University Hospital
- Deputy Chairperson of the “Gesellschaft von Freunden und Förderern der Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf e.V.”
- Member of the Managing Board of the “Vereinigung für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht e.V.”
- Member of the Board of “Zukunft durch Industrie e.V.”
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Leibniz Research Institute for Environmental Medicine
- Chairperson or member of the boards of trustees of numerous foundations