Change of the application process from the summer term 2021 onwards (for non-EU citizens)
When applying for a study programme (except master's and doctoral studies) for the summer term 2021 or later, for non-EU citizens it is obligatory to hand in a preliminary check documentation (VPD) issued by uni-assist. This document has to be handed in together with the application form "Application for a university place for a foreign student" as well as an approved language certificate (for example a DSH-2-certificate).
In order to obtain a preliminary check documentation (VPD) the local educational certificates have to be verified by uni-assist. Please contact uni-assist timely (at least 8 weeks before the university's application deadline).
After obtaining the preliminary check documentation (VPD), please send it together with the application form "Application for a university place for a foreign student" and an approved language certificate as a certified copy to Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf.
Thus, the local educational certificates do not have to be submitted when applying at the Heinrich Heine University anymore.
Exception: When you apply for a masters or doctoral study programme, you have to submit the original versions of your local educational certificates and additonally include a translated version of your documents in German, English or French. All copies/documents need to be certified.
- application guide for foreign applicants
- applications for ONC-Master's programmes must be done directly via the respective department (online)
The application deadline for study programmes with limited admission is set for January 1st (summer term) and July 15 (winter term). The application deadline for study programmes with open admission can be found here.
Please send your complete application documents to:
Studierenden- und Prüfungsverwaltung
Please only submit your signed application form when you are able to submit all the required documents (as certified copies) as well. It is not possible to hand in documents at a later point in time.
Apart from the fully completed and signed application form, the following must be submitted:
the preliminary check documentation issued by uni-assist (see above) and an approved language certificate as a certified copy have to be submitted when applying to Heinrich-Heine-University. The "Feststellungsprüfung" may also serve as a German language certificate. Therefore, local educational certificates do not have to be handed in anymore.
For Master's and doctoral study programmes:
- degree certificate as well as record of subjects and performance (official, certified copies in the original language and in German, translated by a sworn translator; English and French certificates do not need to be translated)
- official, certified copy of the DSH (2 or 3) certificate (= German language university entrance exam for foreign students) or a comparable German language proficiency certificate, except you apply for a Master's programme or doctoral studies offered entirely in English
- if you have changed your name (e.g. through marriage), please submit an official, certified copy of the marriage certificate or other appropriate proof.
- if you have already begun studying in Germany, please submit the current certificate of enrolment (= Studienbescheinigung), showing subject(s) studied, intended degree and number of semesters studied.
- Master’s programme: Please submit the “Nachweis der besonderen Eignung” (proof of aptitude), which you can apply for to the respective faculty.
- Doctorate: If you are planning to study for a doctorate degree, you need the dean’s permission and a letter confirming academic supervision by your supervisor.
- Applicants from the People's Republic of China must submit the original Zertifikat der Akademischen Prüfstelle (APS) from the German Embassy in Beijing:
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Kulturreferat, Akademische Prüfstelle
Landmark Tower 2, Office 03118
8, Dongsanhuan Beilu
Chaoyang District, 100004 Beijing, VR China
Telefon: 0086-10-6590-7138 oder -7141, (Mo. bis Do. 13.00 - 17.00 Uhr chinesischer Zeit)
- Applicants from Vietnam must submit the original Zertifikat der Akademischen Prüfstelle (APS) from the German Embassy in Hanoi.
The Preliminary Check Documentation
If you need a confirmation of your university entrance qualification (e.g. in order to extend your visa or in case you do not have a proof of German language skills, yet) prior to your application, you will have the possibility to get your foreign certificates checked for a fee via uni-assist .
German language courses
Applicants for the German language course, offered by the General Student's Committee (AStA), need to complete the enrolment process for the German language course at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.
In order to join the German language course, applicants have to sign up for a placement test via AStA and pass the examination. Listed on the AStA website below you will find the documents which need to be submitted upon registering for the placement test.
If you meet the criteria for the enrolment as a participant of the German language course, the folllowing documents need to be submitted at the Registrar's and Examination Office (Studierenden- und Prüfungsverwaltung):
- completed and signed enrolment form (available from AStA)
- participation certificate issued by the AStA confirming yourregistration for the German language course (confirmation stating that you have passed the placement test and payed the enrolment fee of 450 €)
- preliminary documentation (VPD) issued by uni-assist (the VPD costs approx. 75 €)
- insurance certificate issued by a statutory German health insurance company for the enrolment at a university (the insurance company will issue a certificate for the applicant confirming that the applicant is either insured or exempted from the insurance obligation)
- prepaid (1,55€) envelope (DIN-A-4) with your direction on it or, if applicable, include "c/o" (please only refer to an address located within Germany)
- original receipt/statement of account as proof that the social fee (approx. 300 €) has been paid
- copy of your passport or your identification card as proof of identity
- if you have changed your name (e.g. through marriage), a copy of your marriage certificate
Further information regarding the German language course can be found here:
Cofirmation of receipt
- In case you need a confirmation of receipt of your application documents (e.g. for requesting a student applicant visa), please enclose a postcard according to the instructions on our websites.