Jump to contentJump to search

Financing Your Studies

Blocked Account for Studying in Düsseldorf

When applying for your visa, or at the latest when applying for a residence permit, you must prove that you have sufficient ampunt of money to live and study in Germany. These proofs include, for example, a notice of award of a scholarship, proof of income or financial support from your parents, declaration of commitment from a resident in Germany. Nationals of some countries must also open a blocked account at a bank in Germany.


Many international students use a blocked account to finance their studies in Germany. It is called this because the sum you have to transfer to it is blocked, i.e. blocked until you have entered Germany.

As of January 1, 2023, the assumed annual standard requirement, which must be paid into the blocked account when applying for a visa, is 11,208 euros. For more and binding information contact the German embassy or consulate in your home country.

You can open a blocked account at many German banks. There are also a variety of online providers. On the website Study in Germany you can find more information about the banks where you can open a blocked account.

Working While Studying

Apart from personal savings or family support, many students prefer to work during their studies.

As a student from a country in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) you enjoy the same legal rights in terms of employment as German students. You may work as much as you like within the framework of the relevant legal provisions. However, if you want to work more than 20 hours a week, you will have to pay social security contributions.

As a national of any other country, you may work 120 full days or 240 half days per calendar year parallel to your studies. Those days are counted on which you actually work. Public holidays, vacations and other days on which you do not work do not count. If you want to work more, you require a permit from the Federal Employment Agency (Agentur für Arbeit) and the Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde). In addition to the 120 approval-free days, you may work at the University as a research or student assistant without this requiring approval and with no time restrictions. The same applies for university-related activities which are linked to your studies in organizations close to the University, e.g. as tutor in halls of residence belonging to Düsseldorf Student Services (Studierendenwerk).

Responsible for the content: